Wednesday, November 28, 2018

New parts arrived and MMU Part 3

So today more of the parts arrived that I ordered for my built.

Finally I have the stepper motors. Pro Tip, whatch out for those with the lead screw as shaft, don't use the cheap ones with couplers. So I was about to finish the frame built today...




But I realized that the M3x10mm don't fit as the aluminium parts are not as thick as the original 3D printed Prusa parts and the screws don't fit far enought into the motors to be tight. So I ordered some M3x8mm as I don't have them in stock.

Then I got some of the MMU 2 parts today. I have not the stepper motors.




The MMU 2 electronic board came with cables. Also the 2x4mm orange PTFE(the usual PTFE tubing used for 3D printers has a smaller inner diameter than 2mm) with push fittings.
And the two shafts with brass tubes as bearings for the selector.


I am still waiting on the bearings and I need to get the 2 springs for the MMU 2. I could order them from Prusa, but the goal was to het everything as cloned parts. Then I still need to print the idler in PC. But printing PC is tough without enclosure.

I also got the 5x16mm shafts for the idler today.



I was so eager to put things together that I just started with the selector and put the electronics board into the chassis.

For the electronics board you just need 3 M3 nuts, 3 M3x6mm screws.


The nuts are pressfit into the 3D printed part. The electronics board is inserted. Watch out for the micro USB port and the switches. Then secure the board with the 3 screws. Don't tighten then too much, otherwise you night damage the board.


For the selector you need 6 M3x10 screws, 1 M3x18 screw, 6 M3 square nuts and 1 M3 nut.
And the front plate, the lead screw nut and the blade.



Prusa has a very good manual how to put it together.
Prusa MMU assembly

Once you are done, it should look like this. Be careful when you handle it as you can easily but yourself with the blade sticking out.





1 comment:

  1. Where'd you get the 5x16 shafts for the MMU assembly? Scouring the net here all to no avail. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

A new project "automatic cat litter box"

 I did not post any updates for a long time. I spent some time making some money with 3D printing to recover some of the costs from this hob...