Saturday, November 17, 2018

The MMU 2 Part 1

I already printed most of the plastic parts for the MMU 2 in PETG. I want to printer the idler in polycarbonate. Meanwhile the polycarbonate filament from Hobbyking arrived, but my first attempts to print the idler failed due to extreme warping.
I have tried my print milk, a 1 to 1 mixture of wood glue with water, but that was not strung enough to keep the first layer on the bed.
It seems like others had success with PET foil, yes PET, not PEI as the standard MK3 coating for the spine steel. I have ordered a PET foil with some iron particles, that is usually used as a whiteboard that can hold magnets. Let's see if this will work with the magnetic heat bed of the MK3.
I was also thinking of printing a raft with PETG and then the other layers in PC. Maybe I will give it a try too.
But I guess the key is the enclosure to prevent the part from cooling down too fast. But that is not ready yet. Unfortunately I did ran out of the nice Prusa orange PETG and it is not in stock in the Prusa shop right now.

But I thought I give you the list of parts I ordered from aliexpress for my MMU 2.

10 x 625ZZ bearings for the idler €1,51
100 locating pins 5x16 mm as shafts for the idler (just need 5) €5,27
Prusa i3 MMU 2 bord, motors, power and signal kabel kit €103,72
120mm smooth rods and brass tube 5x6x25mm kit €7,96
pneumatic fittings and 2*4mm PTFE orange bowden tube €6,03
(this one is for the connection from the MMU to the extruder)
5pcs Drivee Gear with groove for MK8 extruder  €2,33
Another set of P.I.N.D.A v2 probe and filament sensor with cable  €14,58
(just need the P.I.N.D.A probe for the MMU, the filament sensor with be spare)

I ordered those parts among with others for the printer itself on the 11.11 sale and expect to get them begin of December.

I need also this multi micro brass insert that is pressed into the printed part. Those are not so easy to come by. I have found manufactures in UK and Austria, but both only sell to dealers.
So I have decided to buy some more and sell them in my ebay store.
I also need some more PTFE tubing in 2x4mm to reduce the friction for the filament and the set of springs for the idler tensioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new project "automatic cat litter box"

 I did not post any updates for a long time. I spent some time making some money with 3D printing to recover some of the costs from this hob...