Saturday, November 24, 2018

The MMU 2 Part 2

Just a short update, was not sure if it is wort calling it part2. But you will need those things as well, so see this as a little help.

One thing I could not find on aliexpress was the brass threaded insert in the selector front plate.

So I did some research to figure out what exactly this is and what it is called. The correct name is "Multi Micro Insert" and is designed to be press fitted into plastic parts.
It comes in different sizes with threads from M2 to M10. I was able to finde 2 manufactors in Europe that sell those things. The one used in the Prusa MMU 2 has a M5 thread.


Unfortunately not to end customers and not in small quantities. I was able to get some, but now I have much more than I will ever need. And as I struggled to get those I thought I sell them on ebay for anybody else who might need them.
Ebay Link to the threaded insert

So if you plan to build your own MMU 2 or just need them as replacement you have now an easy way to get them.

The other item that you probably not order from Aliexpress is the cutter blade. Most break off blades come in 18mm, but what you need is 9mm.



You can find them in the home improvement store or just order them on Amazon like I did. Break off 2 blades and they fit right in the selector.


The steel rods with brass tubes for the selector is something I ordered as a kit from Aliexpress, same as the PTFE tubing. You need to watch out for the right PTFE tubing. The inner diameter is bigger then the other PFTE tubing you get for 3D printers with 1.75mm filament.
For the MMU 2 you need 4x2mm, so 4mm outer and 2mm inner diameter. On Aliexpress you can even buy them in the orange cooler that Prusa uses for the original MMU 2.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, do you send to Singapore, I am looking for the inserts too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. The link to your ebay listing for the inserts is dead. Are you still selling them?

    ReplyDelete

A new project "automatic cat litter box"

 I did not post any updates for a long time. I spent some time making some money with 3D printing to recover some of the costs from this hob...