Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Voron is coming !

 I have quite a range of Prusa MK3(s) clones now. I did not bother to build a Prusa Mini yet, as I don't have a use case for it. An advantage would be the smaller plate, as a lot of parts I print would fit and I would not have to wast so much energy to heat up a large bed. But on the other hand the design does not look sturdy to me and I don't like bowden extruders.  Honestly I still have 3 Ender 2 from Creality, that are very similar.

As many other I was waiting for a Prusa Core XY design, but I have lost hope on that. I guess it would be at least 2000€ if it every comes.

So I looked around for a nice Core XY design over the last months and found that the Voron Design has a lot of support. From CAD files to parts lists and even a sourcing guide. You can decide on the build volume, I choose to go with 300mm on all axis. What I really like is the approach to go with reasonably parts. They don't always recommend the most expensive option. They have a lot of parts from Aliexpress.

For example on the linear rails. For sure Hiwin makes good quality, if you manage to get original ones. But they recommend to buy from Robodigg. why? Because it is a 3D printer, not a CNC milling machine. I have seen a lot of Prusa modded MK3 with Hiwin rails and I always ask myself WHY? Why would you spend so much money for those expensive part if the rest of the printer cannot keep up with it?

Then of course there is the question why people buy Prusa printers in the first place if they anyway are going to replace the frame(Bear Mod), the linear rails, the hot-end etc. Why not simply get the parts and build a clone from the start like I did now many times?






Ok, but back to the Voron. I was looking for a printer that can print fast, but with high quality. Some of the videos I have seen on the Voron where quite impressive. I also looked into the HevORT, but that seemed to me like a lot of wasted money. Maybe good for someone who needs a huge build volume.

So my estimated budget for the Voron 2.4 is 1200€, this is what I have spent so far.

For Pulleys, idlers in anodized black and some timing belts I spent around 110€

For 6mm & 9mm GT2 belts and BMG Extruder parts from Triangle Labs I spent 80€

24V Fans for Hotend and Printcooling 15€

Washers, screws and magnets about 30€

Robodigg black Linear Rails  120€ 

MeanWell 5v and 24V Power Supplies 52€

2x BIGTREETECH SKR V1.4 Turbo 32Bit  86,79€

LP08 inductive sensor 5,82€

MINI12864 v 1,2 LCD Display 9,63€

I have problem to source some parts like the stepper motors. I want some quality from LDO, not the usual crap you get on aliexpress.

If you wonder about the quality of the printed parts. This is eSUN ABS+ printed on an original Prusa MK3 in an IKEA enclosure. There was no profile for ABS+ and all profiles for ABS did not work, but I got only ugly warped parts So I had to come up with something on my own to get started.



But in the end I got it running. I used the ABS profile as a base. Then I changed those values and got some good result

print fan to 15% min and 30% max, on all time and 

nozzle temp 240°C first Layer all other 235°C

bed temp 100°C first layer 95°C for all other layers

I change the extrusion with to 0.5 for the first layer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new project "automatic cat litter box"

 I did not post any updates for a long time. I spent some time making some money with 3D printing to recover some of the costs from this hob...