Sunday, March 14, 2021

First Voron parts are coming in, best tools for threaded inserts

 So I have started to print the Voron parts from eSUN ABS+. After a little bit of fiddling I got the ABS+ to print fine on my Prusa clones.


I have also started to melt in the threaded inserts. Therefore I bought a cheap soldering iron for 8,99€ only on Amazon.



I doubt it is any good for any soldering applications, but the tip design and the low energy made it the right tool for my purpose.


So bought this set of special tips for threaded inserts on Amazon for 9,99€ that perfectly fit to this soldering iron.

With the soldering iron set to the lowest power (200°C) it is just enough to gently melt in the threaded inserts into the print. You don´t want this to be too hot, as then the plastic will melt like butter and it will be hard to get a good and strong bond between the insert and the plastic part.

The other parts that came in where the linear rails I ended up ordering directly from robotdigg.com. Ordering was easy and shipping including tax was cheap.



I am still struggling to the get stepper motors from LDO that I want. But I did order the build plate in 300x300x8mm, the IGUS® cable chains, the extruder stepper motor. So that I can at least build the Afterburner extruder.
The frame is also a problem. I cannot get it from a local shop like Fermio Labs as it is always sold out like the stepper motors. If I could figure out if the LDO frame kit is similar in the dimensions as the Mitsumi kit, I would have ordered this one. But the problem with cheap rails is often that the surface for the linear rails is much smaller as the linear rails touches the extrusion profile just on the edges of the linear rails.




No comments:

Post a Comment

A new project "automatic cat litter box"

 I did not post any updates for a long time. I spent some time making some money with 3D printing to recover some of the costs from this hob...