Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Enclosure Part 2

After comparing prices and doing some research I finally ordered my panels for the enclosure made out of MAKROLON® or Polycarbonate. This does not break as easy as Plexiglas® or Acrylic.
It was also slightly cheaper. Even more cheaper would be PET pannels, but I have no experience with them yet.
For the panels I paid >50€, but I forgot one door. As I extended my enclosure for 150mm in height, I needed to change the height of the panels accordingly.

3pcs: 440 x 590 mm, thickness 3mm
2pcs: 220 x 590 mm, thickness 3mm

To my surprise the panels did not align with the sides of the table legs. I spent all the effort to extend the flute for the panels over the full length of the extensions, and then they barely touch them.
Yes, I cold have ordered panels 4-5 mm wider, but then spent another 50€? I was not happy with the construction anyway. I felt that those panels are a bit wobbly, especially as I extended to 59cm.

So I decided to print some mounts for the sides. As the Prusa cannot print that large object in once I decided to go with a 2 piece approach.


I printed them in Prusa Orange which gives me a nice contrast to the black Ikea Lack table.





The other thing I changed was the feed through for the cables. The original Prusa design has one feed through on the left back corner for the cables from the power supply to the printer.


I basically mirrored the parts to have another feed through for the water cooling tubes to the hot-end and the 12V cable for the LED lights.


Then it was time to mount the parts under the lower Ikea Lack table from the enclosure.
What you can see from left to right are the 24V printer power supply, the radiator with the fan on the back, the temperature control box for the radiator fan and on the right there is the 12V power supply for the water cooling and the LED lighting. You cannot see the water pump and reservoir, but they are behind the right table leg.


This is the backside. You can see the water pump which is directly screwed on the water reservoir on the left side. There is a 8mm PTFE tube from the outlet of the radiator to the inlet of the water reservoir. The 4mm nylon tubing from the hot-end will be directly attached to the radiator and the water pump. I was thing of using a bigger diameter tubing and then reduce the diameter closer to the hot-end, but I think that would not make a lot of difference in flow and pressure that this would have any effect on the cooling.



This is how the water cooling tubing is guided out of the enclosure.


And of course there must be a problem again. This time it is the cable kit for the power supply. As you can see the cables are too short for the PS to be outside of the enclosure as intended. They can barely reach the Einsy case, even if I don't use the feed through. So I have to make my own here as well.


But overall this looks already nice. Maybe I have to shorten the water cooling tubes. But I fear they might put some force on the hot-end if they get too short as they are so stiff.


Yes, you see right. The MMU 2 is already on top. It is not yet connected to the printer, neither electronically nor mechanically to the hot-end. But I is ready for testing already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A new project "automatic cat litter box"

 I did not post any updates for a long time. I spent some time making some money with 3D printing to recover some of the costs from this hob...